Thursday 30 May 2013

Diary of a MAD woman 2 - The beginning



Let me begin from where it all started.
“mama Kelechi, mama Kelechi” my husband shouted
(The name of my first child is Kelechi, we decide to name him that to thank God for his faithfulness in our lives, our marriage. I took in almost immediately after our wedding and the delivery went so smooth unlike tales I had heard from experienced mothers about first delivery being so painful and difficult. Truth be told, it was painful but in all, it went hitch free. So the name Kelechi says it all.

Ehen, back to my story – 

“mama Kelechi”!  my husband shouted for the third time

(I decide to ignore him as I had pleaded with him severally not to address me by that name, it made me look so old and it didn’t appeal to my ears.
While we were dating, he addressed me with so many sweet names. I was his baby, his sweetheart, his love and then the one I love so much “mimi”. You need to hear how he personalized my name, it  sends my heart racing and I usually forgave all wrongs he did to me when he uses his deep baritone voice to call me mimi. So why cant he continue nah, ah . Mtcheeeew).

My husband came to meet me in the kitchen where I was frying plantain for breakfast. I could feel the anger radiating from his footsteps as his steps sounded like that of a military man being chased by an enemy.  He tapped me violently on the shoulders and the oil splashed a little on my face. I let out a little scream as I dashed for the salt on the table quickly applying it on the scorched part of my face.

“mama Kelechi” my husband called again 

“what is it Kelvin” I replied angrily 

“mama Kelechi, mama Kelechi, mama kelechi all the time, aaah” I said more angrily
“I have begged you severally not to call me that, our marriage is so young and because we have a child I suddenly lost my appeal to you. What happened to all the endearments you used for me” I asked 

“mama Kelechi, I will call you what pleases me, you wont decide what I call you” he screamed to my face bathing me with his saliva.

“okay, what is it Kelvin” I asked soberly, scanning his face for any sign, any clue to what I  might have done. After dating him for seven years, I pride myself for knowing him so much. These days, my predictions were getting sooooooo wrong.

“Did you remove N500 from my wallet” he asked

“Was that why you were screaming the house down” I replied with a smile playing around my lips

“Don’t answer me with a question woman. I am going to ask you again… did u remove N500 from my wallet?” he asked again closing the distance between us menacingly

“Oh Yes! Kelvin I did” I snapped “ for Gods sake is it what this racket was for?’

“You were sleeping and I didn’t wanna disturb and I needed to buy plantain from iya Jumoke for breakfast baby, for breakfast”

“Don’t baby me woman. I have told you several times not to ever take money from my pocket, my wallet, wherever without my permission”

“You ought to be ashamed of yourself, you cant afford N500, you cant even boast of N200 of your own”
“I pay for everything in this house, I pay the rent, the bills, our sons school fees, everything, you name it………………”
That left statement from my husband hit me so hard as I left him in the kitchen. I couldn’t bear to hear the remaining part of his complaint all because of N500. I went into our sons room to relax leaving him to cool of from his madness.

***********************
“Thank you so much, I really appreciate” I said again as I ended the call.

What would I have done without Chinyere, I thought as I cleared the untouched breakfast from the dining. She availed herself of her time, resources, in fact everything. At times, I feel she renders these help because she felt she owes me a favour. The business she is running presently was started under my tutelage and guidance. I personally convinced her husband to fund and support her as she made a transit from tailoring to owing a super market.

Imagine me begging for N2000. A whole me – Mrs Miriam Obodo aaaaah, have I really gone this low.
Well I had to beg oooo, I resolved to return the N500 I took from Kelvin’s pocket and have a little at hand. No be condition wey bend crayfish? Afterall , a begger no get choice.

I know you would be wondering why I couldn’t save from house allowances that I couldn’t afford N500. You will be amazed if you hear of how my husband disburses our food allowance. There wont be room for any change no matter how much I try. Its like trying to squeeze out water from an already dried cloth.
The tears came rolling almost immediately I settled in our room. It came pouring,  I was so hurt. I sobbed my hearts out. This isn’t the kind of life I had envisaged for myself. I had thought i would be so happy with my husband, I had thought the romance wouldn’t end, I had though… I had thought so many things.

I do two things when I am down, I either write or eat. Sounds funny right? As I was already in the room, I decided to write or else, my tummy would have borne the brunt of the burnt plantain. 

So, on this day the 16th of March 2004, I decided to write. I rummaged through my personal items and found a customized diary of Zintel Consultancy. The diary brought tears afresh to my eyes again. Oh…… my days of past glory..

I made a decision, as from today, I would make sure I put down a thing or two in my diary. As a full time housewife, I owe myself this much. I had time to my disposal; I could do whatever I wanted. Instead of f crying and thinking, I could channel my energy into something. You know it is said when life throws you lemon, you try and make a lemonade out of it. So, the idea of a diary appealed to me.

My experiences as a wife, a mother begins here. It wasn’t a smooth one at all. There were times of pains, joy, rage, surrender, compromise and YES …… AHA…. MADNESS.

Do not judge me, condemn or despise me for my actions as you read my entries. I am only human and acted as one.

"diary of a mad woman"

For Diary of a MAD Woman 1. Click HERE

3 comments:

  1. It's quite sad that couples no longer keep up the pace of romance after sometime in their marriage. We see Kelvin choosing to call his one time sweetheart; mama kelechi. Dunno if it's familiarity or a good taste of the union gone sour. Am sure mimi had lost her self esteem as a house wife. Her advice to chinyere made her a business owner & she, an ordinary housewife wit only the diary of events as her companion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is beautiful, and full of insight, for me especially, you should think of making it a movie script, it will make a lot of sense if you can, I know that you can do it, if you put your mind to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Aham u can turn this to a movie, thumbs up

    ReplyDelete

Spam Comments would not be approved